Sunday, May 08, 2011

Yardwork

This post is almost exclusively for Emily, my garden friendly sister. If gardening bores you...just skip on ahead of this! This is one of my favorite views of our front yard. I love all of the green! We planted pink and purple verbena and purple wave petunias in the beds. They are slowly filling in. Hoping they can tolerate the heat better than the Impatiens from last year did!


These salvia were randomly placed around the oak trees in the front yard so we transplanted them into a different bed. We missed one, so there's still a loner hiding amongst the day lilies. I like them clustered together. They looked funny all spread out.


I love the day lilies this time of year. Crazy blooms!! They are prettier in the morning but I can't seem to get myself to capture them early so I had to take an afternoon picture.


These are the wave petunias Anthony and the kids potted a few months ago. I'm looking forward to the ones we just put in the beds looking like this.


Anthony's pride and joy: Jack and the garden. :) He read all about the square foot garden and appears to have successfully executed it!


The first bell peppers of the year.


Beginnings of tomatoes...can't you just smell them??


The first zucchini harvested.


Jack was so excited to hold it.


Then he decided it was too heavy.


And my favorite: The herb bed. I love cooking with fresh herbs and Anthony hates the price so yay for everyone!


It has been really fun to have the kids involved with our garden. I look forward to this every year. The first things we harvested were a few jalepeno peppers. Addie came running in with them and said, "Mom! We have food in our yard!!"


2 comments:

Em said...

Thanks for this post! The garden looks fantastic! Berg has such a green thumb. I'll be interested to see if you have any problems with squirrels or critters since you're well shaded and in the outskirts. Everything looks great!

Melissa Wilson said...

I guess my frequently visited sites thing isn't working because I didn't know you had any new posts! I loved catching up with them and the pics. Addie looks so pretty with her ballet uniform and bun :) and I love the cousin's Easter picture.