Monday, May 14, 2012

Locks of Love

Addie was a brave girl this Saturday. We were letting her hair grow long until her ballet recital and then the plan was to cut it. A friend of hers at church donated her hair to Locks of Love a few years ago and Addie decided to do the same, so instead of a modest hair cut she took the plunge and chopped off the needed 10 inches to donate it. Here is her before shot. Her hair was SO long. It was very hard for me to let her do this having suffered most of my childhood looking like Orphan Annie. It took a lot of work on my part to not look nervous for her.


This part here was not for the faint of heart. I see a little worry in her eyes and I think my hairdresser, Amanda, was even a little nervous. The hair looked pretty crazy from being cut in a pony tail so Addie was very concerned when she saw the dry cut.


After a long hair washing and reassurance from Amanda that she would fix her hair and make it look pretty.


Happy girl at the end! The cut took forever because of all the "fixing" she had to do from cutting it off in ponytail form. It was hard for Addie to be still so long, but she made it and it appears to be pretty even.


If you are not familiar with the Locks of Love organization, you can visit their website at locksoflove.org. The process is really simple and the donations go to making wigs for disadvantaged children who have lost their hair from illness. Addie felt really good about doing something for other children who do not have a head full of beautiful hair.

3 comments:

The Schroeder Family said...

So cute! What a good cause!

Katie said...

That is so sweet!

Melissa Wilson said...

I just caught up on your blog and it made me miss you guys so much! I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. I'm sure you're as happy as I am that it is summertime! :)