Anthony says that people don't really want to hear what I have to say today...they're just egging me on for fun. I'll be short, and sweet as ever. Just some highlights of the day really.
Please note the theme du jour as my title. I didn't come up with it, though I think it is brilliant on so many levels. It was truly the theme of much of the news coverage I was able to take in today in between taking care of my kiddos. Everybody was talking about how great it was that someone who wasn't "elite" could be President of the United States (Weird on so many levels...when did Harvard Law become non-elite?), but I think it is strikingly odd that somehow we've arrived at a point in history when it is wrong for the leader of the free world to come from an elite group of people.
I almost laughed out loud when a journalist described the "street event" feel of the inauguration. Was he doing that thing people do when their acting polite, but really delivering a terrible insult or was that really a compliment to the day?
I saw Megyn Kelly out in front of an insane crowd at the inauguration. They were going CRAZY like it was a rock concert or something. She pointed out one lady that she said was particularly energetic and gave her time on the mic to say, "Wooooo, woooo, thank you Obama, thank you!!" Then Megyn added that this woman had been shouting this same phrase over and over for hours.
And finally, who could ever forget the poignant words of Reverend Lowery's benediction today:
"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen."
In an effort to "embrace what is right" I think I'm gonna just throw a little party tonight in celebration of the new world we live in now. I'm gonna be an Obama mamma and he's gonna take care of everything for me. It's gonna be wow! :)
In all fairness, Obama is president and that's no small feat even for a non-elitist. He is now the leader of the country I love and I will be praying for the Lord to guide him as he shapes the future of our country. Unlike some of the classless people in the crowd today who booed President Bush, I would never boo Obama because he is the President and that commands some respect.
(Disclaimer - if this sounds angry it's only because Anthony won't give me five seconds to think straight with out messing with me, reading over my shoulder, or talking about something random and distracting.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
That's good stuff. Ditto to it all. I think the benediction is just....well...are there words to express my thoughts? Doesn't someone proofread or instruct people before they do such things?
You go, you Obama Mamma! :)
Well said Julie, well said...
I agree!
I was thinking of that yesterday, while sewing.
Is it really some amazing day, because an "African American" was elected?
Are we really that shallow to have someone's color be the headline?
And for the MAIN reason he was elected, in mass, was due to his color?
How pathetic are we, as Americans, to be "so proud" today?
And I agree- how is Harvard Law a non-elitest?
I can agree on many levels of your thoughts. But I also agree that it is amazing to see the US coming 'together' for 'a' cause. It's not what I completely agree with, and I don't approve with most of the media coverage, but be it may, we've got a new pres now and it's not gonna change.
We prayed this morning to bless and guide him in this presidency. Besides being AfAm, he's a human being, and I can support him in taking on a HUGE job. May our opinions make it to him and be heard and acted upon.
Who's game for Julie to become a political blogger? ME! I love hearing what she has to say and I mostly agree with everything (as do many people!) Keep it up Ju!
I agree that this might really bring people together. I think that added to my frustration when I heard some of the divisive language used yesterday.
I am also glad you posted your thoughts on yesterdays evets. I love "Obama Mamma"! I think you need to make a button and sell it on etsy!
Today, I heard someone on TV mention that they were excited for all the little black girls that were watching the Obama girls, that it was telling/showing them that "anything is possible". I would hope that people of all color would think that anything is possible!
I agree, hopefully we can all come together as a country and as Serena said, hear all of our opinions and act upon them. Like you said, he is our President now, and I will respect him for that.
Tara came home from school and told us "they didn't even know how to pray right at the inauguration"
Here we go, you got me started. I personally was a little offended at the irreverent prayer that encouraged "the white to do what's right." Didn't the white just elect a black president? And why is he called black? isn't his mother white? Why can't we call him white? That would be the ultimate insult, to be sure. The double-standards are astounding and disheartening. I've been avoiding calls from my mother-in-law for three days to avoid the "obamagasms" she'll likely spout. Not in the mood. Is it because one of his first items of business will allegedly be to rescind all previous abortion restrictions (can he do that?) so that any 12 year old can go out and get an abortion without her parents being informed? Sorry if I don't feel jovial. OK I feel much better now...THANKS!
I have been thinking about what you wrote and wanted to add another comment:) Along the same lines as Karen posted, Obama is bi-racial. He was raised by a white mother without his father around. If he married a white instead, would he be appealing more to the "white" voters? Would race be such an issue if he felt he identified himself more "white" than he did "black". I don't know. I still don't know the PC terms, it changes daily.
But, I would hope that people see him as the AMERICAN President, not the BLACK President or the African American President. He needs to be 100% American. My husband and I were talking about this and he had heard on one of his talk news shows that if all people thought this way, that being ALL American, racial tension would disappear.
I think you need to post more political views, I enjoy your thoughts. Thanks for getting me to "think".
Post a Comment