Thursday, January 15, 2009

Potty Party 2009

I'm hearing complaints about my blogging vacation, so here ya go...you asked for it!!!

What I've been up to:


Untitled from Julie Berg on Vimeo.

Rolling off of Christmas I went straight into my first resolution for 2009 - to potty train Addie. I read the book multiple times, bought the potty doll, planned the "party", and taught Anthony what to do with Jack for an entire Saturday while I spent the day indoctrinating Addie in the use of a beautiful pink potty of her choosing. I had my reservations about this program as well as the work I put into throwing my kid a party in the name of potty training, but I think it was worth the trouble.

She and I spent the first half of last Saturday teaching her new doll, Emma, how to use the potty. Emma had 12 pair of pretty purple TinkerBell panties, made by yours truly, that were used to simulate accidents all morning while we "taught" the doll to stay dry. TinkerBell herself, aka Aunt Emily, called to congratulate Addie on her success in potty training Emma. (Addie is still talking about this phenomenon.) In the afternoon, Addie got her own TinkerBells to wear and the diapers were given away to Jack. Many, many treats were given for every level of success and at the end of the day we had a Grand Celebration in Addie's honor complete with gifts, pizza, cake, ice cream, and dancing. She was one tired girl!

We're rolling out of day 6 and I must say I'm very happy with the results - so I recommend the program. It's not potty perfection in one day, but the major teaching and ground work was accomplished in one day so that each day she gets a little better. Today she was even dry in the morning and right after her nap, which was way beyond my expectations. On to my next goal...keep Jack from learning to crawl this week. :)

Aren't you glad you asked?

6 comments:

BandHGardner said...

Wow. I have been waiting to hear that panned out. I am glad it was worth the effort! Congrats.

Melissa Wilson said...

Good work, everyone! Sounds like you all had your parts in this! I am SO glad to hear that it all is going well and I cannot believe that Jack is so old-- almost crawling...WOW, time flies!

The Schroeder Family said...

So glad for the new post. The potty training sounds like a success. Thanks for sharing!

Kristi said...

I'm WAY impressed. I can't wait till Julia is out of diapers. And you made panties for her??!! Wow. Good luck. I keep hoping Julia will train herself:) Now wouldn't that be nice!

Texas Blad's said...

This book is great! I'm TOTALLY impressed with everything you did! You did it big!! Yay for big girl undies!!

Lauren said...

Ohh the fun of potty training!