Friday, May 11, 2007
Running Wild
I got a jogging stroller this week and thought I'd break it in on Wednesday. This picture of Addie is a good one to describe my experience. It has been about 18 months since I last ran. I still weigh about 10 pounds more than I did the time I ran and I was pushing 47 pounds. What was I thinking would happen?? My stroller has an odometer on it, which is really cool but I didn't get it working properly until halfway into our "outing" (can't call the whole thing a run or a walk...). I figured that I ran maybe one mile cumulatively and came close to the 1/2 mile mark all together. Once I stopped there was not much motivation to start again. You'd think that I would be totally defeated by this, seeing as the last time I ran I was averaging 25 miles a week. Instead, as I pushed the stroller up the last hill on the way home I thought about how boring it would be if it had been easy. There would be no mastery in that, no challenge, nothing to urge me to push forward and keep trying.
This afternoon I took the new stroller out for a WALK along a path we walk often with the odometer on so that I could see how far it was. I confirmed that I had actually made it to the 1 mile mark of all running on Wednesday, which I did not realize. So I actually did more like 1.5 cumulatively. :) This motivated me so much that after I put Addie down for bed tonight I went out for a much lighter jog. This was still only 1.5 miles but hey, a girl's gotta start somewhere! I'll be sticking to 1.5 to 2 mile runs for a while until I'm conditioned. I think Addie likes the stroller too. I can plug the iPod into it and it plays music on some small speakers so she can jam while she rides. It's pretty cute. I'm sure the people we pass are really impressed with our childrens' music. I actually like the Jack Johnson "Curious George" soundtrack we listened to today. It's hip kids' tunes.
We went to the pediatrician today. For all of Addie's fans who obsess over her chubbiness...she weighed in at 25 lbs today and she is 29 inches long. She's still off the charts on the weight & 90th for height. The doctor confirmed that she looks GREAT and that there is not a weight problem and that NO I should not put my baby on a diet. So there...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
And SURELY you don't know anyone who would even imply that you put her on a diet!! geeze
Skinny babies are never as cute as chubby ones. Babies are supposed to be chubby. It's a rule.
No, I CANNOT believe the stroller has speakers..... I really can't
Post a Comment