Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day

In the words of Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary:

ap·pre·ci·ate

a: to grasp the nature, worth, quality, or significance of
b: to value or admire highly
c: to judge with heightened perception or understanding : be fully aware of
d: to recognize with gratitude

synonyms: value, prize, treasure, cherish mean to hold in high estimation. appreciate often connotes sufficient understanding to enjoy or admire a thing's excellence. value implies rating a thing highly for its intrinsic worth. prize implies taking a deep pride in something one possesses. treasure emphasizes jealously safeguarding something considered precious. cherish implies a special love and care for something.

See in addition: understand



I've often heard people comment on how becoming a parent made them appreciate the things their own parents did for them as children. For me, I feel like I've really honestly always been grateful for my mother. I've struggled to find the words I feel towards her since becoming a mom, but this week a thought came to me: Appreciating my mother means more than just being thankful.

Anthony was on call Monday night and I had a doctor's appointment run late, so Addie and I were at Panera having dinner. She was just happily eating her grilled cheese and saying "hi" to everyone that passed while stealing bits of my salad and jabbering about random things. Despite the simplicity of the occasion, we were really having a great time together. Right then it struck me. Having become a mother has helped me appreciate my own mother the way that people appreciate culinary creations, rare automobiles, or fine art only after having experienced them.

I appreciate her life as a mother so differently now that I have had a taste of it and it feels good to know a little of the kind of joy she has experienced because of it - and to know that there is more to come! Sometimes when Addie is sick and just needing to be rocked in the middle of the night, I remember times when my own mother was rocking me in the middle of the night. I remember the comfort that it brought to me and it is so exciting to know that I can give that to Addie. When I think about things like that, I just don't care about being tired!

Every Mother's Day my thoughts have always turned to my mother and our relationship. Now there is this strange new dimension of wondering how I'm reflecting her in my own relationship with my children. The happiness I experience when I comfort, love, play with, or teach Addie only adds to the great appreciation I have for my mother. It's amazing how much can change in such a short amount of time. I hope all my friends and family who read this blog have a wonderful Mother's Day!

1 comment:

The Schroeder Family said...

What an wonderful photo! So sweet!