Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

I love holiday traditions. Especially ones that I am actually successful at carrying out as our family transitions from one stage to another. For example, my tradition of going to a movie in the evening after the big Thanksgiving dinner is kind of on hold until I have kids old enough to enjoy that with me. One thing I have been able to maintain, no matter what, is taking a picture of my beautiful Martha Stewart/Real Simple inspired table setting.

This years picture is kinda just going through the motions...















Before anyone stops being my friend in the name of bad taste, let me just explain that Anthony is working this week in Statesville, NC so we went down to join him for dinner today. The original "plan" was to just go to the Outback next to the hotel where he stays...however, he sprung a last minute "need" for Thanksgiving dinner on me and we wound up at Cracker Barrel. For $9.95 you can get turkey, ham, ice cream scoop greenish cornbread stuffing, cranberry relish, sweet potatoes, a coke, pumpkin pie, rolls, and another vegetable of your choosing. What a deal! Notice my plate is full. Anyway...Anthony got what he needed and I didn't cook so I won't complain. The sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie were pretty good, as was the diet coke. :)


















Fashionista here wouldn't touch her dinner so she whined and ate Teddy Grahams the whole way home, despite the fact that she had the new Tinkerbell movie to watch (which I do recommend...she loved it on the way there.) Jack pretty much screamed the whole way home. I think he's had it with my travels. I also think he might be having a little teething, which is not so fun. I love the guessing games!


















The picture doesn't do it much justice, but Addie was really getting into putting my makeup on this morning. It was pretty cute. She's also wearing her favorite shoes in this picture...white patent mary janes. I let her do what she wants in the house and luckily she's been really good so far about simply changing her shoes before we leave. Here's hoping that stays the same! :)

There are 15 minutes left in this day that is suppose to be about giving thanks and I'm feeling really guilty about the fact that even though I didn't have any family here to catch up with or spend all day cooking for, I still didn't really take any time to reflect on my many, many blessings. Thank goodness for blogging to bring some introspection to my day!

5 comments:

Kerri said...

So glad you could be with your hubby! YOu are looking great!

The Schroeder Family said...

Hey we went to the cracker barrel every year we were in Gainesville for Thanksgiving dinner! It was great! I'm glad you got to spend time with family!

The Schroeder Family said...

Hey we went to the cracker barrel every year we were in Gainesville for Thanksgiving dinner! It was great! I'm glad you got to spend time with family!

Em said...

There's something about that last picture of Addie...

I think she is sitting JUST like you. Like...her feet are positioned just like you when you sit. Isn't it funny to see the things your kids do just the way you do?

Sometimes I'll be standing a certain way or sitting in a chair or have my leg propped just so when I'm driving and thing "holy cow, I look just like Mom!". Not a bad thing, just crazy!

Kristi said...

I'm glad to hear that Julia isn't the only one who protests turkey dinner and all the sides. I think the unique meals are all the more memorable. I miss Cracker Barrels.