Monday, December 01, 2008

Baby Julie

We're getting Addie a doll for Christmas this year. Seeing as she doesn't read yet, I'm thinking it's okay to post that. Picking out her gift reminded me of a Christmas when I was given a doll. In 1983 we had just moved to Denton, TX and were living in a rental house on a street called Piccadilly. My Mamaw and Grandad were living across the street while they found a house, so we spent Christmas Eve over there with my aunt and uncle, cousin, and great grandad (Big Grandad.) Most of what I remember of the scene is blurry, aside from colored lights on the tree. I think that was cool then...or maybe we were just out of it.

We opened gifts from that side of the family that night and I received a beautiful new Madame Alexander doll. She had blonde hair, blue eyes, and wore a pretty light pink dress and matching bloomers. Oh, and she cried when you put her up on your shoulder and could blink her eyes. Her dress had little pink rosebuds on it and some cursive text that I couldn't read (I was only 5!) While everyone was enjoying their new gifts, I showed my new doll to Big Grandad. He asked me what my doll's name was, and I replied that I didn't know. Then I showed him the writing on the dress because I thought maybe it said her name. He looked at it and said, "It says Julie. It's Baby Julie." I was so excited to have a baby with my same name. She easily surpassed my Puddin and Huggums in doll ranking. I think she's downstairs in the basement, so I may have to go dig her up and see what the dress really says.

Christmas is absolutely not about what you GET, however, I love the way that THINGS can bring to mind old memories that envoke feelings. To me, this is a memory of a time and an individual who is no longer with us as well as my explanation to family members who tease me for having a doll named after myself! :) Sometimes I get really annoyed with the way Christmas has been commercialized. Part of me wants to simply not start the tradition of gift giving with my kids so that they understand that Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, His life, and all He has done for us. The tradition of gift giving can bring us closer to each other as we give and receive. It's really no different with Jesus Christ. As we give our lives to Him, we will receive gifts we cannot even fathom and hopefully grow closer to Him. What better lesson could I want for my children?

2 comments:

Em said...

Amen to that. I have been thinking the same thing lately. We just get so lost in all of it WAY too easily.

Texas Blad's said...

This is true. What a sweet memory, too. Christmas is what you make it, for sure. I love all the time we get to spend with our family, cherishing each other and the time.