Like many elementary schools, back before Christmas became politically incorrect, Woodrow Wilson Elementary School had an annual Christmas play before school let out for the holiday. It was put on by the fifth and sixth graders in choir which consisted of pretty much everyone I think...so, no I don't have singing skills I've been hiding.
The sixth graders got the "premier" roles, so naturally my friends and I thought we were super cool when we landed the quartet role of the "Christmas Rappers." It was me, Jamie Garner, Andrea Smith, and Mindy Thaten. So funny to think about now! Jamie was in charge of the beat box, since the other three of us couldn't do it.
I don't know how many times I washed one pair of jeans in bleach trying to get them to look right for the part. My mother was probably really annoyed at what I was doing to a perfectly good pair of pants. I also cut holes in the knees and frayed them so they'd be really "cool." Two of us wore black spandex pants under our holey jeans and the other two wore red. We alternated black and red shirts, socks, and scrunchies. I'm pretty sure there were some dangle earrings with Christmas presents involved too...ahh the memories!
I don't remember my lines, but I do recall that I was first and the rhyming words "fool" and "cool" were involved as I addressed my "rap" to Santa. I actually have a lead on a photo of this, but you all may have to wait for your laugh until after Christmas. I promise, when I get it...I'll post it. No matter how hideous it is. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Oh no you di-int! That is awesome. I CAN NOT wait to see those coordinated outfits :)
Post a Comment