Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree!


Christmas trees are so fun. I love seeing how other people decorate their tree. I especially love going to friends' homes who have kids old enough to make ornaments and decorate the tree. The character of those trees is totally different than my current one with all store bought ornaments. Hopefully next year we can start a tradition of making some ornaments and Addie can help decorate the tree...or maybe I'll get her a little one of her own so I can still have control over mine...or maybe I'll see a professional about my need to control...

Anyway, when we were little, we had a real Christmas tree. Maybe artificial ones didn't even exist for a long time? I really don't know. Seems like whenever EVERYONE started getting fake ones, we did. It was a good fit, since we were all allergic to real trees and generally spent the holidays sick because of our tree. It was also a good safety precaution for us - there was no need for my dad to light the tree on fire in the front yard after Christmas as his contribution to the clean up. There was a nice "X" from one tree on our sidewalk for at least a year. Clark Griswold who?

Back to decorations...We had some of these:



and these:



In addition to the annual school photo ornaments, we also had a complete set of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs homemade dough ornaments. Those were unique enough that even the all-knowing internet did not have a picture for me to steal.

The internet DID have a picture of these:



and we had something very similar. Maybe I'll let my kids get some crazy colored lights for "their" tree, since they're getting their own now. :)

This tree was eventually scrapped for some themed trees...the teddy bear tree (little teddy bears, baby's breath, red velvet bows), the burgundy/gold/hunter green tree, and the latest sugared fruit tree. All beautiful in their own ways.

2 comments:

Texas Blad's said...

I have friends who give their kids their own tree and a new ornament each year- I think it's a great idea! I thought about it this year but(being the cheap-skate that I am) decided to wait and by two AFTER Christmas at a discounted rate and start the tradition NEXT year! They would love having their own tree, my girls are constantly rearranging the ornaments on my tree now! Sorry this is LOOOONNNGG!

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

Growing up we each got an ornament. It usually had meaning of that year, ie. I got a popcorn ornament when I worked at a movie theater. I loved that tradition and have started that with my girls.
I think getting them their own little tree is a great idea...with shatterproof ornaments:)