Thursday, December 04, 2008

Reindeer and Racecars

One Christmas Eve I spent the night in Mike and Dan's room. We were all hyped up over the holiday and stayed up who knows how late. Mike was probably around 10 years old...old enough to know the "truth" about Santa, but he played it up nicely for Dan and I. Every now and then from the top bunk he'd say, "shhhh, I think I hear something!" Dan and I would then try our best to look out of the tiny window in their room - as if it were even possible to see Santa and his sleigh if he were up on top of our rectangle Texas ranch style home from the inside. Either way, Mike seemed to enjoy himself claiming to hear reindeer up on the roof now and then.

After we were convinced that the reindeer were gone, Dan and I snuck into the living room. We were having a great time with a really cool race track when my mom came in looking very tired and told us to go back to bed. I guess driving the cars so fast that they flew off of the track and crashed into the brick floor was pretty noisy. Not to mention our laughter. I don't think I remember what I got that year, but Dan got a race track that was way fun.

I wonder if I'll be as nice to Addie in the middle of the night as my mom was to us.

4 comments:

Melissa Lasley said...

I love your Christmas memories. Thanks for sharing them!

Lauren said...

What a cute story and a good big brother!

Lori said...

All your stories of Christmas past are wonderful! How it all brings back the awe and wonder of the holidays as children. You are already well on your way to making the Christmas season great for your kids! Love it!

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

What a great big brother! Keep the stories coming, love reading them!