Monday, March 07, 2011

Kitchen

We've been busy! It's been fun, but stressful, to do some changes in our kitchen. I'm so glad we did it, but equally happy that there is nothing else in the house I want to do any major work in!

It could have been a lot more demo and a lot more rebuild. We felt like our cabinets were classic enough to go with what we wanted, so we replaced countertops, backsplash, appliances, sink, faucet, and some hardware.

The "before" picture:


Our kitchen now:

A couple of my favorite things in this next picture: the pot filler and the new stove. The pot filler is mostly neat looking, but it's handy.

There's a story with the stove though. I was really disappointed that gas was going to be such an ordeal. We'd pretty much have to re-do the gas for the entire house if we were going to get gas into this one little corner so we decided that the additional cost and the idea of tainting so many other areas were just not worth it. We got a Bosch induction stove, thanks to Anthony's brilliant research. It is pretty cool. It heats up insanely fast, the temperature is very precise and easy to control, and if you boil anything over you just lift up the pot and wipe it away. No scrubbing.

We traded out our porcelain double bowl top mount sink for a large single bowl undermount out of Silgranit, a granite composite that is really easy to care for. I love it! We also switched out our crazy faucet that would turn on and off when it felt like it (spraying you all over in the process) for this one with a pull down nozzle. It makes cleaning out the sink really easy. Just in case this one decides to turn on and off when it wants to, at least it is pointing down. The deep sink is awesome. I can hide a lot of dirty dishes in it and you can't even tell! ;)

Just another view of the kitchen from our eating area. We bought some saddle stools for the peninsula, which the kids love. I love the inexpensive addition of 4 extra seats when we have people over.


Materials used: soapstone countertops, white subway tile, and platinum grout.

Ready for vacation now...

5 comments:

bcmagg said...

Beautiful! Love it. One day we WILL come see the new place. I promise.

Katie said...

Love, love, love it!!

Kristi said...

It turned out absolutely beautiful! Way to go! I can only imagine that you're glad it's done.

Em said...

Beautimous. Now, what are you going to cook for me?

Lindsey said...

Wow! I feel like I just watched an episode of HGTV! I love reading about/watching home redos, but I"m kind of nerdy that way. It looks beautiful - I love white kitchens! :)