Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Southern Hospitality

We've had a nice dose of Southern Hospitality since moving here and it's been GREAT!

The gal across the street brought over a peaches and cream pie the other day...oh wow.

T.R.O.U.B.L.E.

It was so stinking good. Yes, I said "was." Why bother to make breakfast when there is such a great option. Bread, dairy, and fruit all in one...the perfect breakfast or dessert, whatever you're looking for. She and her husband are both fellows here so I was also impressed that she found the time to do it. They have 2 little girls that I know Addie will enjoy playing with.

Then...my next door neighbor washed my car for me. He was just out washing his and he thought he'd wash mine too. So nice! Sadly I had not left the house the day he did it, so he could have driven off with the car and I wouldn't have had a clue. Either way, it was so great. He has a granddaughter the same age as Addie so he seems to enjoy visiting with her.

And yesterday the State Farm lady, Dot, called needing my signature to set up automatic payments on our insurance. She had already talked to Anthony and told him he was insane for moving me to North Carolina with a new baby and a 2 year old and then leaving for three weeks. She insisted on coming by the house with the document so that I wouldn't have to go to the trouble. So refreshing, especially since I have had the office in Iowa City hound me last minute that if I didn't drop everything and get into the office by 5 p.m. on any given day our insurance would be dropped.

As I was giving her directions to our home, I told her to turn onto Ebert. She repeated me saying, "Okay, turn on Ahhbert." Without even thinking I said, "No, EEEbert. E.B.E.R.T."

She laughed and said, "I know, but it's called Ahhbert down here hon." Okay, how dumb did I sound correcting her??

I went at Addie's hair with the scissors again yesterday too. Here's the end result. If I keep it short like this, all I have to do is slip a clip in it every morning. Very nice. This is probably the equivalent of the "Orphan Annie" curly do my mom had on me until I was like 10 while I longed to have long luxurious locks of hair flowing in the breeze like the other girls. I don't think it did any permanent damage to me to have to beg my mom to please stop cutting my hair, so I'm sure Addie will be fine. And don't you love the off the shoulder look with her shirt?


9 comments:

Stephanie said...

How refreshing! I love our new neighborhood, but they don't come even close to yours. We have yet to receive any baked goods. Poor us.

Melissa Wilson said...

WOw, I can't believe people have been so nice, thats great! I also love Miss Addie's hair! She looks so grown up!

BandHGardner said...

What wonderful neighbors. Hopefully, you don't stay! I'll make you peach pie. Come to Houston!

We miss you, Anthony, Addie, and Jack.

Serena said...

Ok, now I know where we must move if we need to leave Texas. North Carolina here we come. That pie sounds divine, hopefully you got the recipe and can post it on the recipe blog! And I'm thinking you might need to have a little 'modesty' chat with Addie... that off the should look is just a little suggestive :) Just kidding! Thanks for all the suggestions with Maggie... it's been fun.

Lindsey said...

Reading your post makes me miss good 'ol Winston-Salem. :) Don't feel too bad, I mispronounced Ebert for probably the first year we lived there. Enjoy North Carolina! :)

Alison said...

Can you come cute Olivia's hair for me? You did a great job! I've only tried to cut Olivia's hair once and, for her sake, I'll never do it again.

larshannon said...

Love the southern hospitality! Addie's hair is way cute. Hope you are settled after a huge move!

Shaela said...

I second Serena's motion for the recipe. Sounds like a great breakfast to me too!

Anonymous said...

love the comments about your new move and the trip down. It was nice to have a good laugh after a hard day's work.....haha....i think i can just about taste that pie...yum. i'm in line behind serena for the receipe. Addie is a gem. I'm glad she was a real trooper on the trip....Glad to see you made it okay...