Monday, September 01, 2008

Little Wonders


Today could have been a really bad day. But it wasn't. I had a bad feeling as I went to bed too late last night (and feeling way too tired) that the morning would not be good. I was awakened by Addie crying at 3 a.m. I can't even remember what she needed. At 3:45 Jack was crying. By 4:30 I realized it was due to a dirty diaper, so I changed it and went back to bed. At 5:30 he was crying again, probably because he never really fell back asleep from the diaper change. I gave him a pacifier and he slept until 7. At 7 a.m., my world was ready to roll but I was far from it.

Determined to get a little sleep before our afternoon church, starting at 1 p.m. which we all dislike, I had Anthony watch the kiddos while I went to the shower so that when Jack slept I could take my own snooze. The result was a quick shower, baby screaming loud enough I could hear him while I showered, and legs shaved just enough for the dress I was wearing to church. I went straight to helping out with Jack instead of fixing my hair, which then translated into nasty air-dry-semi-curly-frizzy-rat's-nest hair which I would then have to take the time to iron out with a straightener before leaving the house. I squeezed in a little snooze while Anthony showered. Sweet flexible Addie was content playing in her bed with some books and actually even took a little snooze herself while there, which made her much sweeter at church. When Jack did his mid-nap scream, I finished my nap with him on my chest in recline mode in the rocker only to regret it due to the time it took away from all that I needed to do. Unlike most Sundays, I didn't have snacks and "entertainment" packed for Addie ahead of time. At 12:30, mid hair straightening and makeup applying, I had to "nicely" chastise Anthony for the fact that he was not dressed for church and sitting down to a pile of taco salad (who has time to eat???)

Long boring story short, today was one of those Sundays that would have been easy to just throw in the towel and go to the park (reflecting on God's creations or something semi-spiritual) or anything else instead of trying to get to church with your 2 year old who is still flipping over going to nursery. But we went. We were even on time. Jack ate, played, and slept great while there. Addie went to nursery with manageable crying. And I was uplifted in all the ways I needed to be. The rest of the day flowed seamlessly and I spent my evening reading the Ensign, sleeping (which is why I'm awake at 2 a.m.), and catching up on blogs. I expected nothing from today, but it surprised me.

To top off all the learning I enjoyed today, I finished up my blog reading reminded of a tragic story of a couple who are fighting for their lives (and will be for months to come) while their children have been relocated to live with family. It made me reflect on my day today and how even with the craziness I wouldn't trade it for anything. I got to snuggle with and hold both of my children as well as my good husband. I got to repent for my bad attitude this morning and learn about ways to improve. This was a day I would be sad to lose as well as one that makes me thankful: Thankful for the opportunity to try again tomorrow!

Sooner or later, something will happen to make you regret not being grateful and nothing stings quite like regret. I really try to enjoy the wonder of my life and make it as beautiful as possible, yet I still fail sometimes in being grateful for it all. Crazier times will come. When they do, hope I can be ready to take it with a smile! Instead of taking my little lesson to bed with me to keep all to myself, I thought I would share my thoughts. Just in case someone else could use them!

3 comments:

Em said...

Hey I think I know who you're talking about...that couple in the plane crash. So unbelievably sad! Glad you had a good, reflective Sunday!

Shaela said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It was nice to get a spiritual thought when I wasn't expecting one.
Glad the day ended up so good!

Lauren said...

Thanks for sharing. I can always use a good reminder:)