Friday, December 03, 2010

Christmas Tree

While a Christmas tree is not an unusual tradition, I have really put a lot of thought into how we can add a personal touch to ours. I love to have a pretty tree, but I also want a child friendly tree. Plus, I'd like for the tree to reflect us. So, I'm working every year to balance beauty and personality.



I expect that every year our tree will evolve with us. This year's tree includes things that represent our family, where we are in life, and what each of us enjoys.
  • Every year I pick up a frame ornament with the year on it and put our Christmas card picture in it.
  • ABC's, reading, and writing are hot topics at our house - hence the alphabet ornaments.
  • Butterflies, a tiara, teddy bears and plenty of sparkles for Addie.
  • Trains, planes, and automobiles for Jack.
  • I even found a sailboat ornament for Anthony this year!
  • I love Santas and snowmen. We have breakable ones on top, and soft stuffed ones on the bottom.
  • Even the handmade school and church ornaments and the fishing bobber Santas they made at Bass Pro Shop look good on the tree - which makes the mom very happy!

I love the wonder and beauty of a Christmas tree. I hope to pass that on to my children. While we decorated the tree this year, Addie said, "This is going to be the best Christmas tree EVER!" I agree, every year.

As children have joined our family, I feel like the changes to our tree represent the changes in my life. Maybe I wouldn't have picked butterflies and trains for my tree before Addie and Jack joined us, but it's so much more beautiful with them!

3 comments:

The Wife said...

The tree is beautiful! I love that you use the kids' interests to decorate.

Jamie R.

Em said...

Love the tree. I also love your tree skirt--it matches our stockings which, I am sad to say, have been discontinued. So I had to seam rip Tilly's name out of one of them and I'll have William's name monogrammed on. :)
I am always in a dilemma of HOW to decorate my tree. This is the first year I kind of got my mojo down with it, felt good with the colors, etc. All I knew was I didn't want BURGUNDY and HUNTER GREEN...and I think that needs no explanation! :)

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

I love the framed picture idea! I might have to steal it from you!
I strongly believe in the shatterproof ornaments, they make my life a lot easier!
Each year for Christmas, my mother would buy each of us an ornament and am now doing that for my kids. I try to find an ornament that represents something fun to remember of that year.
Beautiful tree!