All,
I just got off the phone with Joe, and wanted to pass on to all of you some of what transpired.
I asked Joe how things have been going for him, and he said that it was shaping up to be the best Christmas his family has ever had. I feigned surprise and said "Really?".
He said "Yeah, you know, things were looking pretty rough this year, and we had pretty much accepted the fact that there would be one present under the tree for each of the boys, but something is going on, and I am just amazed. You should see under our Christmas tree, it's fully stocked!"
"Are you serious?" I said.
"Yeah man!", Joe replied, "You know when it started, it took me a while to catch on, but after about the third night, I realized this was a pretty well thought out thing, because someone has been leaving presents for the boys, and for me and Rose every single night since last Monday!"
I said "Wow! That is amazing!"
"I know!", said Joe. "I was at church yesterday asking people 'Is it you?', 'Is it you?', and nobody even knows what I'm talking about! I don't know who is doing this, but it has been such a great experience. I really see God working in this, and it really has been a spiritual experience for us."
Joe and I talked for a few more minutes before I got off the phone.
I can't tell you how much it means to me that each of you has been willing to participate in this and come through so admirably with your commitments. I hope you have all realized by now that this is not just a material exercise. The temporal gifts that you give are important, but the thing that you are giving Joe and Rose and their kids that is infinitely more meaningful is hope. I can hear it in the way Joe talks, and I am sure that it has changed things in their home this holiday season. That kind of gift is priceless.
Thanks to all of you for being a part of this. It's the same every year. My family and me benefit more than any of the families we have ever given to. I hope that each of you will think about this experience in years to come and feel good about what you have done.
Ian
I thought this was a perfect way to head into Christmas Eve. "Truly He taught us to love one another, His law is love and His gospel is peace" (O Holy Night, Placide Cappeau de Roquemaure, 1847).
Merry Christmas!


No comments:
Post a Comment